Home > The Bare Bones > Are you at risk: Workers Comp for your Dog Walker or Pet sitter?

Are you at risk: Workers Comp for your Dog Walker or Pet sitter?

Does your Petsitter or dog walker put you at risk?

Recently, I’ve been asked about insurance for dog walkers and pet sitters.

  • Who should carry it?
  • Why should they carry it?
  • And who exactly is being protected by the coverage, the customer being served or the service provider?

I’ve directed these inquiries to a dear friend and trusted insurance professional Jay Zemansky of Sadler and Company, Inc.  In the meantime, Jay has shared an article to help understand what this means for pet lovers bringing professional help into their homes to care for the fur babies.  (Click the link below to view)


What does this mean for you, your dog walker or pet sitter?  The bottom line is that if they are licensed and insured appropriately, your basic home owners or renters policy is sufficient.  Trouble lies where the professionals are not licensed or insured.  If your pet care providers are not insured, you will want to follow Jay’s suggestions for adding coverage to your basic policy.  Insurance carriers can easily provide certificates of coverage and licensing agencies vary, but all offer some way to verify licensing where appropriate.


Your pet professional is licensed and insured…    You’re covered.  You’re basic homeowners or renters policy protects you from personal liability.  Check with your insurance agent to verify the details of your policy.

You don’t know if your pet professional is licensed or insured…  Ask.  It’s easy for professionals to share their insurance coverage and licensing.  Depending on the insuring and licensing agencies, it may take a couple business days to get verification.

Your pet professional is not licensed or insured…  You have few options to protect yourself.  (1) Add a rider to your current home owners or renter’s policy. (2) Appeal to your trusted pet caregiver to raise their professionalism and protect themselves as well.  (3) Seek out a professional that will meet the needs of your fur babies and operate as a business and not a hobbyist.

Protect yourself, protect your pets.

Animal RN is licensed, bonded and insured for your protection and peace of mind.

Sadler & Co can be reached at http://www.sadlerinc.com,  415.457.2400

  1. May 23, 2014 at 9:01 am

    I think everything composed made a ton of sense. However, what about this?

    suppose you were to write a killer headline? I ain’t suggesting your content is not
    good, however suppose you added something that grabbed people’s
    attention? I mean Are you at risk: Workers Comp for your Dog Walker or
    Pet sitter? | Animal RN Blog is a little vanilla.
    You should peek at Yahoo’s front page and note how
    they create news titles to get people to open the
    links. You might add a video or a related pic or two to grab people excited about what you’ve written. In my opinion, it
    could make your website a little bit more interesting.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: